Monday 11 March 2013

Bridesmaid progress 2

First let me tell you about my little fox cubs.  Having tried to get hold of someone who could give me some advice (local wildlife hospital) I went out to check on them and found that mum had moved them.  She was clearly upset with us opening the door (twice) and moved them to somewhere she considered safer.  This is good news for me and I wish this little family well in their new home.

I have managed to move on to the next few stages of my little bridesmaid dresses.  I underlined all the skirt pieces (5 in total), stitched the side seams and then did the dreadful task of following all the arrows to pleat the skirts.  Having painstakingly marked all the skirt pieces with a marker, in the end, I found it easier to lay the pattern piece over the sewn skirt pieces, mark with a pin and then fold the pleats as directed.  Once both skirts had been pleated I used a long running stitch on my machine to hold them in place.

I can already see that the skirts are standing out more with the organza underskirt, in fact they can almost (not quite) stand up on their own.  I didn't wash the organza because I wanted it to retain its stiffness and its unlikely that these dresses will be washed.

Here are the two little dresses (WIP) unpressed,  and I clearly spent more time arranging the skirt on the left than I did on the right.

It feels good to have moved on a few steps and depending on how the week evolves, I may be able to get both dresses  90% finished by the weekend, leaving smaller changes after fitting Ella DGD No.2 (I have already fitted Alana DGD No.1 so know this is a good size for her).

Phew, it will be fantastic to say 2 down 5 to go............ pressure, what pressure.

Catch you later..................




14 comments:

  1. Good news on the little fox family :)
    You are going to have the most beautiful wedding party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear momma fox moved her pups. I was concerned for them. Great progress on these dresses. I hope you can finish them soon and move on to the next ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Dixie I hope I can finish them soon too.

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear the little foxes have moved on. Beautiful fabric on the little dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear the vixen moved the kits to a more natural safe environment. You have done a great job on the two dresses and I love the fabric. Waiting to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you hope it won't be too long before I finish these too.

      Delete
  5. Exciting to see its all coming together

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pleats are beautiful and have such a lovely structure. Great job!

    ReplyDelete