Thursday 1 March 2012

Net-a-Porter inspiration for my own self-made garments.

It's not often I get some time to just surf the net without thinking I should be dashing around all over the place so I thought I would get some inspiration from the world wide web, and in particular see what the web site Net-a-Porter is showcasing new arrivals.

I love to snoop shop and think what fabrics and patterns do I have that I could recreate my own twist on a designer garment and here is a small selection of ideas for consideration.  The descriptions are taken from Net-a-Porter followed by my comments:-



Ladylike style makes a chic return for SS12 and L Wren Scott's flora-print georgette top is an elegant way to work the trend.  Complement the pretty shade of duck-egg blue with a neutral pencil skirt, nude heels will finish a perfectly polished look.

This blouse and skirt is so similar to Vogue1127 which I have already made and reviewed about on PR.  I purchased some lovely melon silk with bright red flowers, which will make a good copy of this and will be just a little cheaper than the £680 price tag.  I may go for a grey skirt as I also have grey shoes, but I do love this colour combination so will keep my eyes open for similar fabrics.





Valentino's feminine sweaters have become a key part of its collections over recent seasons - this particular one is a mixture of wool, silk, lace and cashmere and has a price tag of £880.

Now I am thinking I just need to find a reasonably priced boat neck sweater, perhaps in a lovely cotton knit or silk or even cashmere, price permitting, remove the sleeves and replace them with some lace, and the re-attaching the cuffs.  Needless to say those of us with serger/overlockers will make short work of this transformation for a fraction of the cost and I think could be an afternoon project.  I like these sort of "posh sweaters" because they make a comfortable alternative to a more dressy blouse/shirt.








This little number is Textile Elizabeth and James Austin rose print silk shirt priced at £175.

There must be 101 patterns that could make this blouse up so I don't think I need to suggest any.  I do have some pretty cotton fabric in my stash, with mini blue roses on that could produce something similar to this, but wouldn't be quite as soft as a silk.













 This colour-block crepe dress priced at £385.00 is designed by Donatella Versace and Christopher Kane for their Versus collection. 
I have McCalls 6111 in my stash that I think could adapt really well for this dress after some nifty skirt reduction and colour block insertion.










I hope I have given you a few ideas.

Catch you later..............................

1 comment:

  1. I like your way of thinking Pauline especially since I'm on a mission to use up my stash fabric,notions,etc.

    I've chosen you for the Versatile Blogger Award. If you like, you can visit my blog and grab it and post it on yours.

    ReplyDelete