Tuesday 23 August 2011

My trip to Jo-Ann Fabrics in Houston

Yesterday evening I met up with my good friend Anita and we took a trip to the  Jo-Ann fabric store in Sugarland, Houston, TX.


We were browsing the fabric selection, looking for something for her to make a swing jacket out of and we came across the beautiful fabrics that you would buy for dresses or blouses.  Well I can't tell you how surprised I was to find the exact same fabric that I had bought from the fabulous Walthamstow market marked up at $13.99 per yard + tax and I only paid £1 per metre.


I checked out the label and it was marked as a charmeuse.


I have thought for a long time that all the fabrics must be end of roll, or job-lots that the shop has purchased, and of course always been delighted by the way they sew and wash, but the biggest prize of all is the price.  Needless to say, the prices in the shop were so much more expensive than what I normally pay I didn't buy any fabric, but it was nice to see what they had.


Houston is unbearably hot at the moment with most days averaging around 100f.... thank goodness for air con - still at least I only have to suffer this for a few days, the poor people living here are getting a little fed-up with the oppressive heat.


More later......................



2 comments:

  1. nice post. Now you can use this buyers directory for bulk silk fabrics import & export business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Houston actually is a pretty safe city compared to other US cities. Canada single entry visa allows one entry only to Canada within the validity of the visa. Yes, everywhere has it's crime, but at least we aren't on Forbes "Top 10 Most Dangerous American Cities" or anything..

    ReplyDelete