Sunday 14 November 2010

Speed Tailoring Course - Gill Arnold - Birmingham UK October 2010

Well I booked this course in March and had to wait until the last weekend in October to attend it and it certainly didn't disappoint me.

 Gill was fantastic and I learned so much, but haven't been able to put any of the techniques into practice yet because I flew straight out to Houston the day after I return from Birmingham.

The course was "Speed Tailoring" and the group was made up of 6 eager participants.  We all made half a jacket, so we could learn how to attach the correct  types of interfacing on the various parts of the jacket, attaching the collar, pressing techniques and setting in the sleeve.
I absolutely loved the weekend, and it went by far too quickly and will definitely book myself on another of her courses.

 This was one of the suits she made - the accent fabric in the front just lifted the pink and it looks fantastic.  I am still trying to find out how she covered the buttons because they looked great too.

If I can make my jackets with the same amount of workmanship that Gill has used I will be delighted.


I loved this suit - it was a Vogue 8519 and in fact the advertised photo that Vogue publish for this jacket did not do it justice Gill's was much nicer.

I hope to get back for another course early next year - however booking her courses is like getting an appointment with the queen - most people on the course I attended had been on previous ones and just wanted more and more (as do I) so its a case of first come first served.

If any of you cyber sewers are reading this here are a couple of her tips:-

  1.  Use natural fibres where possible because you can mould the fabrics better to shape the garments
  2. Never press your garments after sewing on the flat ironing board always use a ham, or a sleeve roll etc
  3. Make sure you grade your seam allowances

Thanks Gill I loved the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment